4.12.2008

Really? In inner-city Brooklyn??



classon ave near dean st

and yes, it is what it says it is...poke your head inside to see cages full of live chickens stacked about 6 feet high.

this one's in honor of my friend over at exact change. ain't no plastic on these chickens, baby! some assembly is required, though, you'd have to assume (depends on who's eating them, i suppose). in all seriousness, though, for a food- and environment-conscious meat eater, the sight of live chickens in cages two blocks from my urban apartment does raise some interesting questions for me...will my vision of creating a more sustainable, healthy lifestyle for myself ever include seeing the live source of my food on any kind of a regular basis? can it? should it? will it?

3 comments:

Melissa Yarborough said...

First, let me say I am honored. We have those in Philly too. You're right. No plastic, and it's in the city. But what would Needles have to say about raising an animal in a tiny cage in the city?

Does make one start to wonder what's the difference between a pet store and a live poultry store.

redrawblak said...

happily, the smallest cage needles and sasha have ever been in is their cat carrier. you know, you make a good point...those chickens DO spend their whole lives in those cages. i just realized that, despite what i know about industrial agriculture, the subconscious picture i had in my head was that these chickens were grown on some magical, expansive, beautiful, green farm (somewhere in queens? long island?) where they could roam free in chicken-y glory, and were only trucked in oh, say, once a week or so for people to buy. shows how out of touch i am with my own food chain!

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
Was thinking this is a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/luau-party-supplies.html]luau Party Supplies[/url].

 
Blog Directory - Blogged